A Fishy Tale

An American tourist came to a Mexican coastal village. He complimented a Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.
‘Not very long,’ answered the Mexican. The American wanted to know why he didn’t stay out longer and catch more fish. The Mexican explained that the small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family. The American wanted to know what he did with the rest of his time. ‘I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings I go to the village to see my friends, have a chat … I have a full life.’
The American said, ‘I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you. You should start by fishing longer every day. You can sell the extra fish you catch and buy a bigger boat. With the extra money you can buy more boats until you have a fleet. You can open your own processing plant, leave this small village and go to Mexico City or New York. From there you can direct your huge enterprise.’ The Mexican asked how long this would take and the American said 20 to 25 years. ‘And after that?’ asked the Mexican. ‘You can start selling stocks and make millions,’ replied the American. ‘Millions?’ asked the Mexican, ‘And after that?’ ‘After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a little village near the coast, play with your grandchildren, catch a few fish, take siestas, and spend the evenings with your friends!’ said the American.
The lesson? Contentment with ones lot brings riches beyond compare.

Newer Post Older Post Home